Understanding how search engines and searchers interact is critical to any organisation’s SEO efforts. After all, if you don’t know how or why people are using search engines, it’ll be tough to get your website in front of them.
One important way that search engines and searchers interact is through seasonality. Just like retail businesses have peak seasons, specific topics and keywords see increased popularity at different times of the year. And just like retailers need to adjust their inventory and staffing to meet demand, a business or SEO agency needs to adapt their SEO strategies to take advantage of seasonal trends.
We’ll explore how seasonality affects search engine behaviour and what implications that has for businesses. We’ll also touch on specific examples of how B2B and B2C clients can take advantage of seasonal trends. Finally, we’ll provide some actionable tips for getting ready for the holiday season rush.
How Seasonality Affects Search Engine Behaviour
From a search engine perspective, seasonality generally results in an increase in searches for certain terms and topics. This concept makes sense; as the weather changes or holidays approach, people start searching for information related to those events. For example, searches for “Christmas recipes” go up sharply in November and December, while searches for “back-to-school sales” increase in August. Keep an eye on your Google Analytics account to identify any spikes in traffic or changes in keyword rankings. Doing so will give you a good idea of what customers are interested in at different times of the year.
This increased traffic can be a double-edged sword for businesses, however. While more traffic is generally a good thing, it also means more competition for the coveted top spot on the SERP. That’s why it’s so essential for businesses to understand how seasonality affects their particular industry and target market. With that knowledge in hand, they can develop targeted SEO strategies that will help them take advantage of increased traffic without getting lost in the shuffle.
How B2B and B2C Clients Can Take Advantage of Seasonal Trends
The most effective way for businesses to take advantage of seasonal trends is to create content that meets the needs of searchers at each stage of their customer lifecycle. To do this, businesses need to understand what kinds of searches people are doing at different times of the year and then create content that meets those needs.
B2B companies, for example, might see an uptick in searches for terms related to their product or service as the end of the year approaches and organisations start preparing their budgets for the coming year. As a result, B2B companies should ensure they have updated website copy, blog posts, case studies, infographics, etc., targeting those key terms. By having this content ready to go, B2B companies can make a strong impression on potential clients and secure high rankings, ready for the influx in searches. These materials will not only help position the company as a thought leader but also increase its likelihood of being considered when budgets are being finalised.
B2C companies, on the other hand, might see an increase in searches related to gift giving as Christmas approaches. To take advantage of this trend, B2C companies should make sure they have gift guides, coupons, holiday promotions, etc., prominently featured on their website. These materials will help drive traffic to the site and convert casual browsers into paying customers.
Actionable Tips for B2C Businesses Getting Ready for the Christmas Season
1. Take inventory of your existing content and make sure it’s up-to-date and relevant to the current season.
2. If you don’t have any seasonal content, now is the time to start creating it. Again, make sure to include targeted keywords and phrases to help improve your chances of ranking high in SERPs.
3. Take advantage of social media to understand topics and trends. Take inspiration from hashtags, creative visuals, and related contests or giveaways to find content your customers engage with.
4. Plan ahead for any traffic increases by ensuring your website is optimised for speed and mobile-friendliness. No one wants to wait around for a slow website, especially during the busy holiday season.
5. Keep an eye on your competition to see what they’re doing to take advantage of seasonal trends. Use this information to inform your own strategies and stay one step ahead.
Actionable Tips for B2B Businesses Getting Ready for End of Year
1. Researching new keyphrases related to your product or service. Utilise data from lots of different sources such as Google Ads, SEO tools, your own web analytics and competitor analysis.
2. Reviewing your website copy and making sure it’s optimised around your revised topics. Ensure that your copy is unique, helpful and engaging.
3. Updating your blog content strategy to support landing pages. Plan out a series of blog posts that provide depth of content and demonstrate expertise.
4. Revising CRO strategies based on the upcoming needs of your customers and providing suitable materials to evidence past success, including case studies, success stories and testimonials.
Seasonal trends provide both opportunities and challenges for businesses trying to optimise their SEO efforts. On the one hand, increased traffic offers a chance to reach more potential customers. But on the other hand, increased competition makes it more challenging to achieve a high ranking on SERPs. However, by understanding how seasonality affects search engine behaviour and taking advantage of seasonal trends, businesses can improve their chances of success. If you’d like to learn more about our SEO services, please give our team a call or send us a message.